Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a canadian citizen with, unfortunately, a US criminal

I am a canadian citizen with, unfortunately, a US criminal record in Florida in 1995.
Is it now possible and, if so, how can I get a US pardon which could allow me to travel again in US

Yves Gascon

If your offense was a Florida state rather than a Federal conviction, one gets a pardon by applying to the governor of the state.

Pardons are rare but they are free, you can do it for yourself, and you have nothing to lose. You can read about it and get the forms to fill out here. The office of Executive Clemency does the screening for the governor. A full pardon would not erase your record but would be official proof that the highest official in the state believes you are rehabilitated, and the Federal government should recognize that and allow you entry.

There are lawyers who specialize in Pardons, expungements and the restoration of rights, if you don't feel inclined towards fo-it-yourself lawyering. To find one contact the Florida State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral service, or a commercial legal referral service such as Martindale.com.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

It will help me to proceed in the right direction to eventually obtain a pardon

Yves Gascon

You're very welcome.

Best of luck!