Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I know expungement keeps your record hidden from the public,

I know expungement keeps your record hidden from the public, but I was wondering if, it is at all possible, for a minor misdemeanor (Possession of Marijuana) to be completely taken off your record? If so, how long would it take to do such a thing? Besides a simple speeding ticket, I have never had problems with the law. Also, I am planning on going to court October 11.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if you had been convicted of this marijuana possession misdemeanor?

Customer:

yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for your follow up.

Customer:

I haven't actually been convicted yet, but after my court hearing October 11 I will.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, there would not be an option to permanently remove such misdemeanor conviction under the current Ohio law.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you pleading guilty to this drug offense?

Customer:

I'm going to have to plead guilty since I can't afford a lawyer.

Alex J. Esq. :

Have you considered requesting a public defender?

Customer:

Yes. They said I don't qualify because the case is too small.

Alex J. Esq. :

Possibly, because the case does not carry any potential jail sentence.

Alex J. Esq. :

In any case, in Ohio a misdemeanor conviction can be expunged, once the sentence is served, but it cannot be permanently removed.

Alex J. Esq. :

There is simply no such legal option.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

So what your telling me is I'll have this on my record for life?

Alex J. Esq. :

Correct

Alex J. Esq. :

It will not come up for the purposes of private background checks, if the conviction is expunged.

Alex J. Esq. :

But the conviction will stay on your record for life for most of the government purposes.

Customer:

How long does it take to get expunged?

Alex J. Esq. :

First you would have to complete your sentence and not have any other convictions, before you can apply for an expungement

Alex J. Esq. :

once the sentence is completed it can take 2-3 months or longer in some cases to get the record expunged, depending on how busy the court is and particular circumstances of your specific case.

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be a good idea to consult and retain a local criminal attorney before you are convicted to see if the criminal charge can be reduced or even dismissed.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

How old are you by the way?

Customer:

18

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, unfortunately, conviction for any drug offense would preclude you from obtaining financial aid in the future, if you decide to go to collect or a technical school.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me at this time?

Customer:

how much does the typical defense lawyer cost?(estimate)

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you charged with simple possession of marijuana?

Alex J. Esq. :

How much marijuana was there?

Customer:

.5 grams

Customer:

less than that really

Alex J. Esq. :

basically, it should not cost more than $1,000-$2,000 for a local criminal defense attorney to handle such minor misdemeanor.

Alex J. Esq. :

It might even be less.

Alex J. Esq. :

I would suggest that you do contact several local criminal defense attorneys to see what fee they might be able to offer you.

Alex J. Esq. :

We are not permitted to refer JustAnswer.com customer to any specific attorney or law firm, however you can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer:

no that's it

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor