Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

how strong is a guilt by association when there is no evidence

how strong is a guilt by association when there is no evidence on a person?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To obtain a conviction, the state must prove a person's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury of 12 individuals. Guilt by association typically is not sufficient to do that. There must be some evidence that the person was aware of another person's criminal acts, agreed with them, and somehow assisted. If the only evidence is Person A, who is accused of a crime, saying, "Wait! Person B did it!," that's not sufficient evidence to get a conviction against Person B. There would have to be something more. The mere fact that a person is associated with someone known to have committed a crime is also usually not enough to sustain a conviction.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.