Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

Hello, I have a jury trial coming up in three weeks regarding

Customer Question

I have a jury trial coming up in three weeks regarding a traffic court ticket I received in december of 2012. The original court date was in january of 2013 but i wrote a letter and requested a jury trial as suggested by a couple of friends. I have never had a traffic ticket in the 25 years of my driving. The ticket was issued about four hours after a car accident I was involved in with 2 other vehicles, I was the middle vehicle of three total vehicles. The last final car hit me and then I hit the car in front of me. My car was totaled and I was not able to talk on the scene of the accident and was taken directly to the hospital. I was issued a citation and the car in front of me was also issued a citation and it specified that it was our "fault" 50/ 50. The citations actually were written out as "minimum speed lane violation" but no recording device actually ever captured the actual speed each car was driving. I later heard that the officer was "new" and he admitted when he came to the hospital in front of my family as he issued the citation that he asked for help in determining what to do for the accident. Then the court house posted that the violation was something else entirely, not even the same violation noted on original violation. Both myself and the car in front of me received the same initial same violation and then both of us in court records were recorded as "driving too fast, under 10 miles per hour or less". I am trying to find an attorney to take my case as I recently found out after a neuro psychological evaluation that i incured mild brain injury from a closed brain injury. I tried to go back to work this past spring and had numerous problems and couldn't multitask in a teaching position. I was called in for the first time after 18 years of teaching and my administrators wanted to know why i had declined in so many areas. They noted that numerous parents and for the first time ever called and had complaints. I knew I was not as good, and that I was "changed" but i tried and struggled to keep my job for my family. After my neuro psych. testing, several areas of severe weakness came back and it was recommended that I enter an outpatient brain therapy program immediately and take a leave of absence from teaching for one semester. I am currently involved in the program and it is a struggle to write and spell even this letter. I recently found out the jury trial was scheduled and i am wondering if I can ask for a delay or continuance? Maybe because I am in this therapy program which is intensive and i am receiving 5 types of therapy. I am so stressed and its not allowing me to heal and now hearing I have this trial, I can't sleep, especially not being ready and not having an attorney. I realize now after recent findings that i need an attorney to help me with the case overall. For now, what can i do to delay this case? I am hoping that there is something I can do or write someone so I can for now stay focused on the brain therapy program. An suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

You have identified the proper thing to do, file a Motion for Continuance.

Dwayne B. :

If you've never filed one you may want to go to the clerk of courts and get a copy of one that was filed by an attorney and use it as a guide.

Dwayne B. :

Also, there is a good, inexpensive e-book on selecting juries for people representing themselves at http://www.lessonsinlaw.com/the-guerrilla-guides-to-the-law/

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please do not issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.