Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

My license is suspended for DWI. I was pulled over and was

Customer Question

My license is suspended for DWI. I was pulled over and was given a citation for no dl. I was honest with the police why I didn't have it. He said his computer was down wrote me the ticket and let me go. Will the prosecutor change it to DWLI or leave it at no dl?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the ticket is prepayable, then definitely prepay it. If this gets in front of a DA and he runs your background check, then he will likely upgrade it to DWLI.
.
But to be honest with you, when these tickets are submitted to the court the clerk will typically run a background check if the officer made note that his computer was down and then alert the DA that this was a driving on DWI suspended.
.
So I would hope they dont' catch it or you run across a lazy clerk, but be prepared for them to tell you that it is not prepayable and you have to come to court. If they say that, you can expect them to upgrade the charge.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if I prepay it

Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
If it is prepayable, then it is unlikely that the DA will inquire into it further. They simply have too many cases to try and research every one to make sure it is charged correctly. Only if someone brings it to their attention will they take the time to investigate and upgrade the charge.
.
.
Thanks