Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

Can I get a record expunged for shoplifting that happened when

Customer Question

Can I get a record expunged for shoplifting that happened when I was 19 years old, I'm 58 now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Expungements in Virginia are only available to those who had charges dismissed, received not guilty findings, or who have, if convicted, received an "absolute pardon" from the Governor. So, in your case, since you did have a conviction, you would first have to file for and receive the referenced pardon before you could apply for an expungement.

You can see an example of what your petition for expungement after the pardon would look like by going to:

You can find out more about filing for an absolute pardon by going to:

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 30th. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit (paid from the deposit you left with the Site) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.