Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I live in TX. I accidentally sent a sexually explicit text

Customer Question

I live in TX. I accidentally sent a sexually explicit text to a wrong number. I'd meant to send it to a friend but the number was wrong in my phone. I received a text back saying "I don't even know you. I am going to call the cops now." I text back "Sorry.". I wanted to know if I could be arrested for this or is it illegal? I had no intent to send this to whoever received it. I doubt whoever received it called the cops but it scared me. If the individual did call the cops, is this something they would have to pursue them self? (i.e. harassment etc)
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hello

My name is Samuel and I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

I suggest that it could be consider "harassment" and if the receiptent happens to be a minor and the text contains sexual ly expilicit words there could be a sex offense charged which could land a person on a sex offender list.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the recipient of the text have to pursue the harassment charge?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

Hello

Yes. They could call the police and report it and a police investigation would be done, wherein you could explain it was an accident. Also harassment is a "continued course of conduct" so as long as you do not continue to do it, you should be ok