Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I have a friend who is an alcoholic. This person has had 4

I have a friend who is an alcoholic. This person has had 4 DUI's in the last 10 years. So far that has amounted to fines, suspensions, a ton of rehab and 7 days in jail.

Right now my question is...

1, If this person was to get a 5th DUI (with no other factors involved) what would be the likely penalty?

2, What would be the likely penalty if they crashed or (God forbid) hurt or killed someone whilst drunk?

Can you give any instances of 1, and 2, happening?

Thank you...

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to discussing this and providing you information in this regard.

The penalty is the same for a subsequent after a 4th - it's a felony with up to 2 years in jail, a $10,000 and license suspension.

If they had an accident then the penalties would not change as long as they stayed with the car and reported the incident. Otherwise there could also be a fleeing scene of accident and/or hit and run which on conviction would add an additional 1 year in jail and $5000 fine

If there is an accident where this friend is drinking, regardless of who's fault it is, they will be sued in civil court for any damages and if there is an injury - lord forbid - then the lawsuit is going to come after all the have

Should the be a death due to an accident because they are drinking, then you are looking at an additional 5 years and more fines if convicted of vehicular homicide or manslaughter.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. After that, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry there are several typos in your answer. What do you mean by... then the lawsuit is going to come after all the have.

Also what would be the penalty for vehicular homicide or manslaughter whilst drunk with 4 previous DUI's ?

I apologize. Let me be more clear for you

You friend will have their pants sued off of them if there is an accident - with or without injury or death and they have been drinking regardless of who is at fautl

The manslaughter penalty is 20 years

The vehicular homicide is 10 years

And they can be charged with both and convicted of both which means an additional 30 years

Please let me know if this needs more clarifciation

Thank you