Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I was recently cited while traveling through Maryland with

I was recently cited while traveling through Maryland with "MC 32-17 A" or public urination.

I have never had any legal issues in the past, hold a full time job and graduated in May with an ivy-league education. The paper given to me by the police officer says that the penalty could be up to $1000 or 6 months in prison.

Should I retain a lawyer? What are likely outcomes from this? How will my record/future employment be affected?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Regardless of what ends up happening, a charge like this won't greatly affect your future opportunities, if at all.

Further, without a record the possibility of a fine or jail time is virtually zero.

With all that in mind, Maryland does allow you to get an expungement if you have no record and complete a special kind of probation. That will keep your record clean.

You should get an attorney. That's the smart thing to do anytime one is charged with a crime. Your lawyer will be able to negotiate the probation so that you can get this eventually expunged. It will be as if it never happened.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.