Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

My roommate is on unsupervised probation. I own legal firearms.

Customer Question

My roommate is on unsupervised probation. I own legal firearms. Is either one of us breaking the law
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXX XXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Dear Randy,

Does your roommate have any type of access or potential access to your firearms?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

My guns are not locked up in any manner. I do have an ex girlfriend that has threatened to call the ATF on him since they has a disagreement. His probation is unsupervised.

Dear Ray,

What is your roommate on probation for and do the terms of your roommate's probation prohibit him from being around firearms or is your roommate a convicted felon or someone convicted of a crime of domestic violence?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

He is not on a felony or violent misdemeanor though Maryland laws are very tough. Some say he can not be near firearms while others say he can. Just want to avoid and ATF breakin. The roommate did have to do 3 days in jail for driving on a revoked license. Prior to that he was on probation for a drug conviction.

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you know if your roommate is a convicted felon.

Are you staying in different rooms and are you able to obtain a gun safe for your guns, so this would not be an issue?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

He is not a convicted felon. I am an avid second amendment rights advocated and would never lock up my firearms. Rooms are different though nothing inside house is locked. My main concern is the ex has called authorities on local and federal level. I am hoping unsupervised gives him the right to be in same house as guns.

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your follow up.

If it is discovered that your roommate has potential access to your firearms, his probation can be violated and he can fact potentia new sentence which might include jail time, depending on his original crime.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

should I contact law enforcement to protect myself with this situation. I have a clean criminal record and live in a school zone.

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your follow up.

Actually, you are liable for safeguarding your firearms and if you are allowing a person on probation to reside with you, while your firearms are not secured and the roommate on probation can easily have access to this firearms, it might also expose you to potential civil or criminal liability, so the only solution would be is either not to reside with this roommate or to secure your firearms.

I wish you the best of luck!
Dear Ray,

Do you have any related follow up questions?