Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I was interviewed yesterday by fbi agent concerning some information

I was interviewed yesterday by fbi agent concerning some information that a friend of mine had gave them when he was interviewed for some crime he committed, he was charged with mail fraud, they asked him questions about something he told them that I will know about some other friend of mine. I answered their questions to the best of what I know, after the interview they took my numbers, address and social security number. am I in trouble?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

It appears that you are currently offline. Please let me know when you are back online and I would be happy to answer your question.

Alex J. Esq. :

Thanks!

Customer:

i am online now, can you please answer my question now?

Customer:

can you please email me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX when you are online.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. Are you online with me now?

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

hello, I am online now

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com!

Alex J. Esq. :

I am glad to finally be able to catch you online.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are in.

Alex J. Esq. :

Let me start by telling you that the situation appears to be very, very serious,

Customer:

for me or my friend?

Alex J. Esq. :

First of all, a person should never make any statements to any law enforcement agents, especially to FBI, without an advice and presence of the local criminal defense attorney.

Alex J. Esq. :

For both of you, but at this point lets concentrate on you.

Alex J. Esq. :

The fact that you were questioned by the FBI indicates that you are a person of interest in a federal criminal investigation and unfortunately, anything that you told FBI will only be used against you or potentially also against your friend.

Customer:

before I went for the interview I was told that I was not in trouble, they just need some information from me,

Alex J. Esq. :

Of course.

Alex J. Esq. :

That is what law enforcement always tell every suspect and they are legally allowed to make such assurances.

Alex J. Esq. :

The reason the FBI or police will tell you anything to extract incriminating statements from you and would make all kind of promises, is to get incriminating information.

Alex J. Esq. :

You can never rely on anything law enforcement agents tell you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

should I let hem?my employer know I talk to t

Customer:

what should be my next move now?

Alex J. Esq. :

At this point, the only thing that you can do to protect yourself is to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney, who specializes in federal criminal defense and not to say anything else about the matter to anyone without your local attorneys permission and presence.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

yes, what about my employer should I let them know that I was interviewed by fbi

Alex J. Esq. :

NO

Alex J. Esq. :

You do not want to discuss this case any further with ANYONE!, except with your local attorney.

Alex J. Esq. :

Please understand, that you do have constitutional right not to incriminate yourself and to remain silent when it related to any potentially incriminating / criminal matters.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes, I will take your advise

Alex J. Esq. :

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq. :

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

to be very honest, I did not do anything wrong, and all the questions they asked me were rumors about other the friend that the other friend that is already found quilty is tying to safe himself, so he put me in the middle.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand. Unfortunately, there are many completely innocent people who end up in jails and prisons every year. I don't mean to scare you, but to stress out that it is very important to know your legal rights and never make any statements to law enforcement when it comes to criminal investigations, without legal counsel.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

okay thank you, XXXXX XXXXX end of the interview, the agent told if there is anything I want to change on the statement, i can called in a week time before he type it, he want taking notes then he said to if I see any wrong doing for me to call and tell him.

Customer:

ten he asked me for my address and ssn

Alex J. Esq. :

Please do not do anything else, until you have consulted with the local criminal defense attorney.

Customer:

okay Thank you.

Alex J. Esq. :

The FBI is using a very common tactic to obtain information from you, but as I said, anything that you tell them can be used against you as well.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Customer:

why would they ask for my address and ssn when they can get?

Alex J. Esq. :

To make sure that they have correct information for you and also to check if you would provide correct information .

Alex J. Esq. :

Under the federal law, any lie to a federal agent is a federal felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000

Customer:

I do not think I lied to them, when they aske all I told them I do not recall my friend asking me to do some thing for him/ or I said i do not know. is that lying?

Alex J. Esq. :

No

Alex J. Esq. :

stating that you don't know something, would only be a lie if you did in fact knew the answer and if they can prove that you intentionally stated that you did not know.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

what about saying I did not recall

Alex J. Esq. :

same thing

Alex J. Esq. :

but it would be harder to prove that you actually could remember something and lied about it...

Alex J. Esq. :

very difficult...

Alex J. Esq. :

however, the FBI are master manipulators when it comes to this type of criminal investigations and are specifically trained to extract incriminating information from any person of interest and also are very good at twisting any statements to mean things that the person who gave statement never intended to mean...

Customer:

okay I thank you very much, I will try to consult with a local criminal defense attorney. what should I tell him/her

Alex J. Esq. :

Everything.

Customer:

thanks

Alex J. Esq. :

This way this local attorney will have a full scope of your situation and will be able to help you as effectively as possible.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor