Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

Hi, I have encountered the similar circumstance as Nic.

I have encountered the similar circumstance as Nic. I took my dog for teeth brushing in Pet-smart today and on the way back, i have stopped by Target to grab a gift card for my dog sitter. I left the window slightly opened for air and went in to Target and came back out shortly within 10min. I saw this guy that was dressed in civilian clothing and he shoved his badge at me, accusing me for putting my dog in dangerous condition. I tried to explained to him that it was a quick stop and i left the window opened, the weather was gloomy and with wind. He was very rude and cut me off , he asked me for my ID. I was in shocked and didn't know what to do. He told me that he was going to report me to the State of Attorney in Illinois. I will soon receive a citation if the State Attorney of Illinois would like to press charges.

I have asked for his name card and apparently he is a Inspector for NIATTF. I live in Wisconsin and this occurred in Illinois. I then looked up to the law and just realized that it is not OK to leave dog in the car in Illinois in extreme heat or cold without ventilation. But there is no law in Wisconsin. I have just moved to Wisconsin last year and was living in Nebraska before and i am not aware of this law till today. I regret that this happened but i want to justify that i am a very responsible pet owner as i thrive hard to give the best to my dog.

What are your thoughts about this? What is my right and what is the right of an off duty Inspector of NIATTF(The Northern Illinois Auto Theft Task Force).

I have a great career now and i do not want this to be in my record.

Thank you much!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

When did this incident happen?

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

It happened today. May you assist in providing some legal information about the situation. Thanks!

Alex J. Esq. :

Yes I will be glad to do that.

Alex J. Esq. :

Did this police officer take down your information?

Alex J. Esq. :

Was the local police called to the scene?

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

He has used his I phone to take a picture of my ID

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

He is an inspector of NIATTF(The Northern Illinois Auto Theft Task Force)

Alex J. Esq. :

Any police officer in Illinois has the authority to enforce laws on or off duty and once this officer has identified himself as police officer, he is considered to be on duty.

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

He didnt give me a citation but he told me that he was going to report to the State of Attorney in Illinois. I will receive a citation if they decided to convict me

Alex J. Esq. :

Was local police called to the scene?

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

No.

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, cruelty to animals is a class c misdemeanor in Illinois and if someone is charged and convicted of such crime, the person can be subject to up to 30 days in jail and fine of up to $500.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

Yes. But i did not have any intention to harm my dog. what is the consequences If local police was called to the scene,. No local police was called to the scene. he just took a picture of my ID and told me he would report to State of Attorney. If no citation is given at the spot, should this be a concern?

Alex J. Esq. :

Thank you for your follow up.

Alex J. Esq. :

While this police officer can make a report to the State Attorney and the State Attorney will review the report to decide whether to charge you with this crime of animal cruelty, there is really not much that can be done in the meantime, as it would be up to the State Attorney's office whether to charge you and it is not even certain that this police officer will report this incident to the state attorney's office.

Alex J. Esq. :

He might just tried to scare you into not leaving your dog in a car unattended again.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

Yes it make sense. why would he go for The State of Attorney instead of giving the citation on the spot? So i hope that he was just trying to scare me

Alex J. Esq. :

It is possible and likely

Alex J. Esq. :

And even if this officer does file a report, it doesn't mean that the state attorney will charge you with the crime.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, if this officer really wanted you arrested and charged, he would have called the local police and they local police would have handled this incident

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

JACUSTOMER-asxdeqdw- :

No. Thank you very much for your assistance! Have a wonderful night

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor