CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I was arrested on a shoplifting 3rd degree. Amount was $ 320.

I was arrested on a shoplifting 3rd degree. Amount was $ 320. It was 3 charms with no precious stones on a sale rack and I had no idea it was so expensive. I am not excusing my behavior and did not try to lie my way out. Spent a night in jail and now going into the pretrial program. I will be able to get it expunged in 6 months.
My concern is about getting a job. I am educated and my experience is in Insurance. Whats going to be the outlook on my employment for the next 6 months and the rest of my life?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 9 months ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are entering into the pretrial diversion program, the case will remain open until your complete it. Once that happens, the State Attorney will dismiss/drop the case. After that, you could proceed and have it expunged from your record. Having it expunged will prevent potential employers from seeing this, if they were to conduct a background check but it would not prevent a governmental agency from viewing it, if needed. Unless your current employer requires you to disclose this, it should not be an issue and once it is expunged, should not necessarily have a negative effect for the rest of your life. If you were trying to obtain a license through the State of Florida or any other State, this may come up but at the end of the day, assuming you complete the diversion program, the case will be dismissed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did you get my reply?

I am sorry but I did not. If you can please resend it, I would be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I currently have a license with Florida to sell, will I lose it?

My savings will only last another month or two, how will this effect my job prospects for the next 6 months? Will I be flipping burgers?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
No follow up
Sorry for the delay. I was having issues with my computer. No, you will not lose your license. The arrest alone is not enough and upon completion of the diversion program, the case will be dismissed by the State of Florida. As such, it will not have a negative effect or result in your losing your license. As far as future employment, it should not effect you being hired, since you have no conviction at this time and as I said above, it will be dismissed after 6 months. Most of the time, an employer will ask about convictions, not arrests alone.
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience: 7+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.