SmithEsq
SmithEsq, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced practicing criminal lawyer ready to answer your questions regarding charges, laws, bail and more.
67917124

My ex bf staying I stole money from him the other night, but

Customer Question

My ex bf staying I stole money from him the other night, but won't tell me how much. I don't have any money that's not mine on my body. What can I do? He says he is going to call the police.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  SmithEsq replied 1 year ago.

SmithEsq :

Hello are you there?

SmithEsq :

I'm a criminal defense attorney and will be assistng you with your question. I"m sorry for what you are going through. I see you are offline at this time. That's okay-we'll catch each other later, but I wanted to introduce myself and tell you that I am here to help you hopefully soon, if we can connect soon. I look forward to speaking with you.

SmithEsq :

Generally speaking, if he is making blanket accusations about you there is nothing you can do. Whether he is accusing you of theft or something else, it's all just his word against yours unless he has proof that you went into the bank and withdrew money from his account.

SmithEsq :

It's just a threat at this point, used to intimidate you I assume because there is no way you can prove that you didn't do something and he knows you will go insane with worry trying to figure out how to do just that.

SmithEsq :

In reality, in order to press charges he would have to go to the police, tell them that you have his money, tell them how you got it in a way that makes sense, tell them why you would do such a thing so that they understand your motive and show some kind of proof that he is missing cash. That is a lot of lying if it's not true.

SmithEsq :

If it is true, one might just pay it back to avoid the possibility of police intervention. But if its a lie, the burden is on him and that is a lot of pressure on him.

SmithEsq :

Hope this helps.

SmithEsq :

Please ask me anything you want from here and rate when you are satisfied.

Customer:

He said it was in his bedroom where I was alone. I asked him how much it was and he will not even tell me...I did not have my purse in his room and I don't have the money in my pockets and all my friends know I will not steal from him. What if he goes to the police?

SmithEsq :

Hi I'm here

SmithEsq :

How are you holding up?

SmithEsq :

Did you get a chance to read my answer?

SmithEsq :

Are you still there?

SmithEsq :

Like I said, If he goes to the police it's just his word against yours. ANybody can go to the police and claim anything. It doesn't make them right or powerful or more believable without proof.

SmithEsq :

I was online at the same time as you but for some reason you didn't see me and logged off and I missed you! If you log on again, give me a couple of minutes to get to you from wherever I am, ok? If i'm offline I'll get back to you a little later but if I'm online it might take me a minute or two to get to you.

Customer:

You think the police will do anything??

SmithEsq :

HI

SmithEsq :

You see me

Customer:

hey

SmithEsq :

?

SmithEsq :

Ok good!

Customer:

yea

SmithEsq :

I can only speculate about something like that-if the police would do anything. Does he have any proof?

Customer:

only proof i know about is that i was in his bedroom alone where the cash was. I have asked how much it was but no answer

SmithEsq :

This sounds bizarre-so out of nowhere he claims he had money in his room and after you were in it, it was gone?

Customer:

yep and the theft happened thursday night he is now contacting me Saturday morning about it

SmithEsq :

Do you have a criminal record?

Customer:

nope

Customer:

i have a clearance

SmithEsq :

Don't be offended-I just have to ask-do you have a drug problem?

Customer:

nope

SmithEsq :

I HIGHLY doubt that if he was to go to the police and say he thinks you stole money out of his room 3 days ago that anything would come of it, if they even bothered to follow up on it.

SmithEsq :

I would be SHOCKED

SmithEsq :

I can't give advice, as you know

Customer:

yea

SmithEsq :

but based on my experience I cannot fathom this

SmithEsq :

This is not a case

SmithEsq :

This is nothing

Customer:

but now that this came up i am worried about clearance and everything...all my friends know that i wouldn't steal and think he is high on something

SmithEsq :

THis is a joke

Customer:

he wanted to talk about it on the phone, but i said no text message

SmithEsq :

what do you mean "clearance"

Customer:

i am a government contractor

SmithEsq :

You need to stop taking his calls, ignore his texts, not respond to anything he sends you-to protect yourself career wise

Customer:

I have all the ways he can contact me blocked except his number right now incase he comes up with how much i stole

Customer:

to see if its the amount of money i had in my wallet that night

SmithEsq :

If he gets irate you can always say yoou were busy with work

Customer:

yea

SmithEsq :

How would anyone know how much you had in your wallet?

Customer:

unless he went thru it behind my back

SmithEsq :

Your job is another plus in your favor as to why this looks lilke a fabrication-you wouldn't risk your job

SmithEsq :

So what if he did?

Customer:

correct

SmithEsq :

He could just say that amount

Customer:

he would ask for that money and i would just send him the money

SmithEsq :

Why do you think they are going to believe him?

Customer:

he is a former MP

SmithEsq :

MP?

Customer:

military cop

SmithEsq :

Oh yeah-

SmithEsq :

Trust me you are giving his credibility too much weight

SmithEsq :

You are being victimized here

SmithEsq :

blackmailed

SmithEsq :

If you really want to protect yourself you could go to the police and say he is harassing you

Customer:

he does have domestic voilence charges against him from a former lover...

SmithEsq :

Not surprising

SmithEsq :

So listen-

SmithEsq :

1. He can't make a viable case with the vague "facts" he is using

SmithEsq :

2. He did not act in a way that the reasonable and prudent person in that circumstance would act (waited three days, harassing, no details)

SmithEsq :

3, He is harassing you and text harassing you with threats of police intervention although he has no actual claims to allege against you

SmithEsq :

4. His background and behavior are indicitive of erratic and drug-using behaviour

SmithEsq :

5. He knows you will do anything to protect your job

SmithEsq :

6. Many other factors we have gone over that indicate his claims cannot hold water with the police and he may end up getting himself arrested if he goes in there

SmithEsq :

Anything I'm missing?

Customer:

good to know... thanks so much... not really...His apartment did smell like weed

SmithEsq :

Not surprising

SmithEsq :

Well you know, because you've used the site before you can ask me questions even after you rate

SmithEsq :

If anything happens or you have follow up questions

SmithEsq :

Do you feel bettter?

Customer:

I will keep you aware.. of what happens...yea i do..My friend is going to talk to a cop friend of his about to see what the cops would do. my friends that i have talked to already have said why wait 3 days and if an ex stole money off my night stand i would just leave it as a lose and not had money out with someone coming over

SmithEsq :

Exactly

SmithEsq :

Ok Good Luck!

Customer:

thanks for all ur help!!!! I am going to use my credit card for purchases this weekend incase something does

SmithEsq :

Good plan

Customer:

thanks again I will let u know hopefully nothing

SmithEsq, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: Experienced practicing criminal lawyer ready to answer your questions regarding charges, laws, bail and more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So today I took picture of the money I had in my wallet. Its now 11:28pm and I have not heard anything from him or the police. With the advice of friends and because we live in 2 different counties, if he texts me tomorrow about it I am going to the state troopers for harrasment without even telling him. Friends that I have talked to said they would trust me with their kids and to them that is more than money. I think if he was going to the police about it he would have gone by now. When we dated the first time after we broke up he blackmailed by saying he was going to send a video to my parents email accounts. After I said I went to the police about it he denied everything because he was lieing. One of my friends reminded me that at one point I had his PIN number, and if I wanted to steal money that would make more since then taking it off someones night stand. I hope he leave me totally alone now. If i don't hear anything from him by the end of the week I am going to pay to have his number blocked forever. Thanks so much for your help today I will keep you updated if I hear anything more. If i do hear more about it he will be getting harassment charges against if I do get charged with stealing the money he will be charged with something with character since he set me up.