Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

my 20 year old son ia a chashier in a local drug store. he

my 20 year old son ia a chashier in a local drug store. he sold alcohol to a decoy under the age of 21. he was given a summons to appear in criminal court. will this be on his permanent record.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

If he is convicted, yes it will be on his criminal record.

Dwayne B. :

If he doesn't have any prior it is likely that if he hires an attorney he can get a deal worked that will prevent this from being regarded as a conviction.

Customer:

what type of attorney should i get. He is susposed to join the air force soon. will a convistion be a problem?

Customer:

should he lose his job. or will he lose his job.

Dwayne B. :

This conviction shouldn't be an issue with the Air Force. He may lose his job over this but that can happen whether he gets a conviction or not.

Dwayne B. :

He should hire a lawyer that does criminal defense.

Customer:

the police said that if he was 21 he would have had to be fired on the spot. How long will it be on his record. And what is the likelyhood a lwyer will be able to keep it off his record. how expensive should a lawyer be for 1 court date.

Dwayne B. :

Criminal records last forever. The lawyer should be able to keep a conviction off of his record. The cost would likely be between $750-1500.

Customer:

my husband says the best lawyers are in court. he said i should go to criminal court one day, watch lawyers perform and approach several to see my options. he says this will be better than the yellow pages or internet.

Customer:

oh one more thing. there is a box checked that says advisement. waht does that mean.

Dwayne B. :

That is sometimes true and sometimes not. Generally not much happens at the docket calls so you don't get to see much. This is a pretty simple issue.

Dwayne B. :

What has a box checked?

Customer:

the boxes appear as follows

Customer:

GENERAL DISTRICT COURT (TRAFFIC)

Customer:

GENERAL DISTRICT COURT CRIMINAL

Customer:

JUVENILE AND DOMESTIC RELATION

Customer:

ADVISEMENT

Customer:

of the four boxes the only two that are checked are General District Crminal

Customer:

and Advisement

Dwayne B. :

What document is that from?

Customer:

It is written on what looks like a traffic ticket. It is labled Virginia Uniform Summons

Dwayne B. :

I'm not familiar with that. We rarely see the actual summons and its not a term I'm familiar with.

Dwayne B. :

Wait, that's probably referring to an advisement hearing.

Customer:

what is an advisement hearing

Dwayne B. :

That is just the initial appearance where he enters his plea and gets the dates set,e tc.

Customer:

dates for what. will there be further dates if he gets a lawyer.

Dwayne B. :

Yes. Probably just one more on this case.

Dwayne B. :

Likely the lawyer can get a plea worked out pretty quickly.

Customer:

is it really that serious. My son has never been in trouble a day in his life.

Dwayne B. :

It's not serious as far as criminal charges go but with background checks etc. today it is better to avoid any conviction if you can.

Dwayne B. :

There are some government clearances that it could disqualify him from with a conviction.

Customer:

you have been a great resource. i thank you so much.

Dwayne B. :

You're very welcome. Best wishes to you and your son on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B. :

I'll exit now to assist others.