Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

A couple of weeks ago myself and three other friends were caught

A couple of weeks ago myself and three other friends were caught smoking weed by undercover cops. They searched the car (not mine) and found about less than a half a gram in a plastic bag. Only two people are 18 (myself and another friend); the rest are 17. Needless to say I got a ticket for possession. I figured that would happen. But here's the thing... I was the only one to get it. My other friend who was 18 got off free. My court date is tomorrow. Would this be worth bringing up? Keep in mind, my three friends are white and I'm biracial.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Where was the marijuana found in the car? Was it around where you were sitting?

Did you ever claim to the police that the weed was yours?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We were spotted smoking outside of the car when the police came. They eventually went inside of the car and found it under the passenger seat. I never said anything about the weed being mine.
Dear Erik,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you consult and retain a local criminal defense attorney to represent you in this pending criminal court?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not.
Dear Erik,

What exact criminal charge are you facing?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Possession of marijuana.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm just wondering why I was the only one to get a ticket.
Dear XXXXXm

Thank you for your follow up.

Possession of marijuana under 100 grams is the minor misdemeanor in Ohio punishable by a fine of $150 plus court costs, but a conviction of this drug offense can prevent you from being accepted to colleges, declined for jobs and not be eligibale for federal financial aid.

It would be extremely important for you to consult and hire a local criminal defense attorney to represent you in this criminal case and also generally your local criminal defense attorney will be able to question the fact as to why you were the only one charged with a criminal possession, while the weed was not found on you personally or where you were sitting in the car and you never claimed possession of it.

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Dear Erik,

I have provided you with correct and accurate answer and would be happy to answer any of your related follow up questions.

Please let me know why you feel that my accurate and correct answer is "poor" service to you and please let me know what related follow up questions do you have for me at this time or what additional information are you seeking at this time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You basically just told me you don't know the answer to my question. I asked why this happened and you told me to consult a defense attorney. I already said previously I couldn't afford one. That is why I'm asking you, and not a defense attorney.
Dear Erik,

The scope of this service is limited to providing customers with general answers to the customer's questions and you are facing criminal drug charge conviction of which can negatively impact your entire future, so you either need to hire a local criminal defense attorney or you can be faced with a very troubling consequences if you are convicted of this misdemeanor drug charge.

You are basically asking me to guess, as to why you were the person charged with possession of marijuana, while the other people who were in the vehicle with you were not and it would be impossible for anyone to try to guess the reason, especially without being there when you were charged with he crime and not having access to all the facts and a copy of the criminal complaint.

Did you ask the police officer who issued the criminal citation to you, as to why you were the only person cited?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He told us to stay quiet because he was letting us off easy. Then he gave me the ticket. If anyone tried to talk to him after that he'd shut us up.
Dear Erik,

Thank you for your follow up.

Basically, it is the state that has the burden to prove that a criminal defendant is guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, so while your attorney can bring up the fact that there were 3 other individuals with you in the car where marijuana was found, it is up to the state to prove that marijuana actually belonged to you and that can be done if your fingerprints are on the bag or also it might be possible that your friends have told the police officer that it was yours, etc...

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor