Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I lived in TX and had a total knee replacement, which has caused

I lived in TX and had a total knee replacement, which has caused me pain and I am still not able to use knee correctly or w/o pain. Dr. Has been prescribing pain meds for me since replacement. A few months ago I moved to UT. While here I had severe pain in my neck and went to an instacare where I was diagnosed with bone spurs in C1-4. Dr. Prescribed 3 medications and I got them filled w/o even paying attention. When home I realized one rx was for 15 pain meds. I tossed them down toilet and didn't think another thing about it. The instacare recommended a dr to see, so I went. He gave injection and a rx for therapy and an rx for pain meds. I did get it filled. When home. I realized this was a dumb thing to do and put them down the toilet. Yesterday I contacted the dr who did my knee and told him I needed a referral for a knee dr. In UT. He said he couldn't prescribe me pain rx anymore because insurance co. Had called and said I had received pain meds from another dr. I thought ok. No biggie, I only take when needed and it won't be a problem. Then I did a google search and all kinds of things came up about "dr shopping", felonies, etc. and now I am scared to death. I have never been in trouble of any kind, and I didn't take the pills and would agree to drug tests or whatever else. But I am petrified the police will come knocking at my door. Opinion, please!

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this difficult situation.

Customer:

Thank you. Can u help. I'm petrified

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, this is in fact a difficult situation and not only DEA keeps close track on any rx for controlled substance pain medication, but the doctor also has to report such findings of "doctor shopping" to the DEA and local police.

Customer:

Yes, I saw that online, but I was stupid at time and didn't think of anything til hearing from dr. What can I expect to happen?

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, the best thing to do would be to consult with a local criminal defense attorney asap and to have this attorney on retainer if you are questioned by the DEA or local police and not to say anything to law enforcement, but demand to speak to your local lawyer and to have your local lawyer present during any questioning.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, makes sense. But what do u think the probability of anything happening is?

Alex J. Esq. :

it is moderate.

Alex J. Esq. :

DEA and local law enforcement have been pursuing doctor shopping or people who sell pain killers very aggressively in the last few years.

Customer:

OMG. This isn't what I wanted to hear. Should I try contacting ins. Co?

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, you could be also suspected of selling this pills, given the facts you have described.

Alex J. Esq. :

NO!!!

Alex J. Esq. :

You do not want to contact anyone, but a local criminal defense attorney, who specializes in drug crimes.

Customer:

The rxs in question was only a total of 45 pills

Alex J. Esq. :

This is very serious and anything that you say at this point to anyone, will be used against you, if you are criminally charged!

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand.

Alex J. Esq. :

Why would you obtain an rx, fill it and then flush the pain killers down the toiled on more than one occasion?

Customer:

I understand. How long before they contact me, do u think?

Alex J. Esq. :

They have 5 years to prosecute similar incidents.

Alex J. Esq. :

So it is impossible to estimate a time limit when this would and might come up.

Customer:

First time was when I saw what they were and thought I had some and didn't want to take more than I should. Second time, I thought, well these could be a backup for neck if my other rx wasn't filled. Then I thought, I'm only asking for trouble there and flushed them so not to even think of using them.

Customer:

Stupid I know.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you think you might have an addiction problem with the pain killers?

Customer:

I've been on them for a while, but have gone 2 wks or so w/o a problem, I usually don't take more than 1-2 a day when I do take them

Alex J. Esq. :

okay.

Customer:

As of now, I'm not taking any

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, I am glad to hear this, but given the nature of the situation, I would strongly urge you to consult with a local criminal defense attorney and have this attorney on standby, in case you are either questioned or arrested by law enforcement.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

Customer:

Yes, not what I wanted to hear, but makes sense. Thank you. Guess we are done.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry for giving you this tough news, but I know you want correct and accurate answer, since when you are informed you are better prepared to deal and resolve situation at hand.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

No. Thank you

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required