Legal-Guru
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
58645016

This is sad but my neighbor may have said something or indicated

This is sad but my neighbor may have said something or indicated she disliked or did not respect me like other people, she expects me to try to call her and email almost every day. I found out I could have mediation for a gift she gave. I think she is always doing that. Their reputation is good but people know they use underhanded tactics. For this to come to a mediation is not good. How do I communicate with her as she picks up on how I am doing and it just gets worse and I'm afraid it will continue. I think she has someone she does this to as I am OK, and the neighbors are all not as accessible this started about five years ago when she was acting like I interfered in her (constant work on this when nothing ever happened, he did complain about her)
marriage and may have let others know she liked them better. They had no choice but to get the message, and it's different now but no better. She even asked one neighbor if they or I were going to move since it would be one of us. How do I deal with it right next door? I think it's bad to keep talking to her but I may need to some time. I feel like telling others so I don't get a bad name with them. I'm so tired of this as there have been people who just leave with me, I have not had to go to great lengths to set them up or encourage it. Should I not talk to her or what to do?
If you have a cause for a mediation, and don't have to have it, how to deal with the opposite party? Should I let others know about her problems? I feel like doing it. She
has even offered to help if we needed anything, but I know she must have gone behind my back. I am sure of other people but not her. It's not good. We were all friendly before but I know some people live with conflict...I think she may want me to keep calling her but have the option of my not really being welcome doing it now or at some point. For instance, we have had times when she is busy and normally someone would say try calling later and I can't tell if she is just too busy or displays power by not always answering the phone or doing things when she says, she is retired and busy all the time.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 12 months ago.
Welcome back to JustAnswer.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your neighbor. Based upon what you have written I think it best if you not call or contact your neighbor for awhile. It sounds like she is making excuses for not talking to you. Even if that is not justified, continuing to call, email, etc., is likely to increase the tension between you two. I would wait for her to contact you.

"Should I let others know about her problems?"

Definitely do not do that. You could be opening yourself up for civil or criminal liability for defamation.

"If you have a cause for a mediation, and don't have to have it, how to deal with the opposite party?"

Mediation only applies if there is a pending lawsuit. Doesn't sound like that is the case here. Probably best to just avoid initiating contact for awhile. Hopefully things will blow over soon and you all can be on good terms again.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I can ask this as a different question, but in regards XXXXX XXXXX above answer, what if we had an agreement to call and email daily? Should I just not do that? Should I write something saying I will wait if she calls? I was going to depend on her for support, should I ask her about what she could do before not calling or just not call like you said? If I see something that indicated or indicates she is acknowledging to others she dislikes me or disapproves should I just not bring it up with her? If this is too many questions I will ask again if you let me know. Thanks. I, not someone else or some others, appreciate the answer and support. It is a concern as nothing this noticeable has happened before.

It is perfectly fine to ask this as a follow-up question.

"I can ask this as a different question, but in regards XXXXX XXXXX above answer, what if we had an agreement to call and email daily? Should I just not do that?"

It sounds like she may not want to do that right now. Best to let things cool off for awhile.

"Should I write something saying I will wait if she calls?"

No, that's not necessary or advisable. Just be cordial and friendly when you cross paths. She will likely talk to you before too long.

"I was going to depend on her for support, should I ask her about what she could do before not calling or just not call like you said?"

I know it is difficult when someone you counted on for support is not available to do that, but it is likely she will be there for you again later if you back off and don't call for awhile. If you continue to call, things may never be the same.

"If I see something that indicated or indicates she is acknowledging to others she dislikes me or disapproves should I just not bring it up with her?"

Yes, for now just back off a little and let her come to you. If you do that, I have a feeling things will be fine between you two in the long run.

"If this is too many questions I will ask again if you let me know. Thanks. I, not someone else or some others, appreciate the answer and support. It is a concern as nothing this noticeable has happened before."

You are very welcome, and it is not too many questions. I wish you the best. You seem like a genuinely good person. Maybe try not to worry so much what other people are thinking or saying. That can drive you nuts.
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience: Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. So if we actually had the agreement to call and email daily you are saying best not to call, and this is without notice or anything else/more than has happened already, correct? If she actually offered support, still just do not call? Then wait for her to talk to me? So glad to have the great answer, less stress too.

You are very welcome. Sorry for the delay in responding. Had to get some sleep.

"So if we actually had the agreement to call and email daily you are saying best not to call, and this is without notice or anything else/more than has happened already, correct? If she actually offered support, still just do not call? Then wait for her to talk to me?"

Yes, I think you've got it exactly right. Sounds like maybe her plate is kind of full right now and for whatever reason your relationship has become strained. I believe backing off and letting her contact you is likely to improve your relationship and be to your advantage in the long run. Hope you have a great day!
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I, have an update. Update: she emailed today. Wanted to know if I was O.K., please give me a suggestion what to email back to become sure of the relationship as she said she hoped I was OK and what she was doing today. Do I win by not talking to her, or is it OK to respond? I, really appreciate it. Also is it better to not tell her anything about this but make some new friends and get out of here? If this was enough for that I would love to know.

Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the update. I think it is fine to email her back. It's not about winning just about maintaining health relationships with your friends and neighbors.
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer