How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal-Guru Your Own Question
Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1366
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legal-Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My Ohio license was suspended for a year by franklin

This answer was rated:

Hello. My Ohio license was suspended for a year by franklin county muni court. My ovi was plead down to reckless ops. Can I drive out of state? If so, where can I find that in writing?? Thank you for your help.
Welcome to JustAnswer.

Is your drivers license currently still suspended?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Until February 28, 2014.

Unfortunately, you cannot drive anywhere until your license is reinstated.

You cannot get a license in another state while your license is suspended in your state. The National Driver Registry (NDR) is a nationwide database that tracks license suspensions. The department of motor vehicles in every state have access to the NDR and check it before issuing a drivers license.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My attorney says otherwise because it is a court ordered suspension. I just don't want to get into any trouble by being in Oregon and California and driving.

It all depends on whether the North Dakota Department of Transportation reflects your license to be suspended or valid. Those are the records that an officer in Oregon, California, or any other state would be checking. I suppose if your local court does not send in orders of suspension to the state DOT, the state could still show it being valid.

The only way to know for sure would be to get a copy of your driving record from the N.D. Department of Transportation. That will show whether your license is valid or suspended. Here is a link to the form you need to send them. There is a $3 fee.
Legal-Guru and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions