Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

If I no longer wish to act as indemnifier on an individuals

If I no longer wish to act as indemnifier on an individuals bail, what is the process to revoke or remove my name from bail documents. I am the primary indemnifier and paid all amounts and fees.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes sir I am.

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if the person who's bail bond agreement you signed is still out on bail?

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes he is still out on bail.

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, you can revoke the bail, but you would be responsible for the surrender of the defendant who is out on bail.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, you would have to deliver this defendant back to jail or it can be done by the bail bondsman, but you would be responsible for the costs associated with the apprehension and return to jail of the person who is currently out on bail.

Customer:

Does that mean I need to get him and deposit him back to the jail?

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, only if the defendant would agree to turn himself in voluntarily.

Alex J. Esq. :

Since you are not authorized or licensed to use any force, but the bail bondsman is.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, well I called the bondsman and explained and he hasn't got back to me with the word from his insurer yet, my concern is the time lapse.

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, unfortunately, until the defendant is returned back to jail, you would be liable as indemnifier under most bail bond agreements..

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, if the bail bondsman is unable to locate or return this defendant to jail, you would remain liable for the bail bond.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, that is the risk that anyone who signs a bail bond agreement takes.

Customer:

Okay thank you I will contact the bondsman and tell him to apprehend the suspect and return him to jail.

Alex J. Esq. :

That would be generally the best option.

Customer:

Thank you!

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor