Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

my daughter who is 20 years old was carrying a case of beer

my daughter who is 20 years old was carrying a case of beer helping her friends. The coolers were full with ice and beverages and she was just helping because their hands were full. The can of beers were not open, She did not know she was not allowed to carry this, she did not have any drink at all, She is charged with violation of section 562.111.We need help. I know you can't plead ignorance of the law but she was just helping carrying stuff for her friends,
Hi Jacustomer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.

The fact is that this is possession, unfortunately. And the rest of the bad news is that the offense is a low level misdemeanor which in Florida carries a maximum possible penalty of 30 days in jail or 6 months of probation, a fine of up to $500 and a mandatory one year suspension of her driver's license upon conviction, even if the facts and circumstances here have nothing to do with her driving. Further, she could end up with a criminal conviction.

The good news is that while there are certainly serious consequences possible, typically, if she's had no further conflict with the law, she should be able to come out of this without a criminal record.

You should get her a lawyer as soon as possible, and see if he can get this matter dismissed right out of the box before it even comes to court. If the facts and circumstances of the case and the arrest do not make that possible, the lawyer can very likely help get her into a pre-trial diversion program. That's a special form of supervision whereby she will have to perform community service, pay fines, attend anti-drinking classes and stay alcohol free during the period of supervision. But after she completes all of her requirements successfully, the case gets dismissed and she can honestly say she has no criminal convictions.