AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
10805288

My brother is currently on probation for a DWI in Tarrant County,

My brother is currently on probation for a DWI in Tarrant County, TX. Last night, he was arrested for a Public Intox in Addison and got out this morning and plead no contest at the Municipal Court. He is on pretty good terms with his PO in Ft Worth, but is worried about talking about the arrest with his PO. We are trying to figure out what's the best course of action to take?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing Criminal law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

My brother is currently on probation for a DWI in Tarrant County, TX. OK.

Last night, he was arrested for a Public Intox in Addison Oh no.

and got out this morning and plead no contest at the Municipal Court. OK, this is not good, because now he will have this new conviction on his record.

He is on pretty good terms with his PO in Ft Worth, but is worried about talking about the arrest with his PO. His PO will generally learn of it anyway, since they generally get information about any new criminal proceedings. The concern of course, is whether your brother's DWI probation is like most in Texas: requiring abstinance from alcohol consumption. It it did, then he not only gets that conviction that he didn't avoid re Pub Intox, but he will then be found in violation of his probation. The PO will have to determine if probation needs to be revoked, or if another solution is available. He won't likely find that your brother didn't engage in Public Intoxation, since your brother has accepted a conviction, it seems.

We are trying to figure out what's the best course of action to take?If you want the information to come from your brother, rather than from third party after you brother fails to share the news twith the PO, then he will want to tell him what happened. If he'd prefer that the PO come to him after learning, and address it that way, then he can do that. The latter will likely create negative feelings beyond those that will result from the Public Intoxication itself - so I know what I would do - but this is his personal choice, of course. Look bad once, or look bad twice. You see what I am saying?

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the answer! I think he will talk with her, he's just nervous, as I imagine anyone would be. Fortunately, he has completed all of the mandatory requirements, such as the community service hours, the mandatory classes and he has paid all of his court costs. He got all of this out of the way pretty early. We heard there is a slim chance that sometimes the PO does not find out, but he doesn't want to upset her either.

Hi again, and thank you for your follow up:

Thank you for the answer! You are very welcome.

I think he will talk with her, he's just nervous, I understand, 'facing the music' as they say...

as I imagine anyone would be. Fortunately, he has completed all of the mandatory requirements, such as the community service hours, the mandatory classes and he has paid all of his court costs. He got all of this out of the way pretty early. We heard there is a slim chance that sometimes the PO does not find out, but he doesn't want to upset her either.
I know. Hopefully his thus far good behavior and sentence performances will be in his favor.

Good luck!