Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  15 years practicing criminal defense.

Son was arrested in nyc for criminal mischief (accidentally

Son was arrested in nyc for criminal mischief (accidentally hit door and it broke at bar). The public defender stated he would get acd and didn't need to hire a private attorney as long as he was willing to accept that. This happened about 6 weeks ago and his court date is in 2 weeks. Will the PD be there? He has emailed him and hasn't heard back. We (parents) were there and PD told us the same thing. Son has NEVER been in any trouble before. 

Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
Was he actually appointed a PD by the judge at the initial arraignment where he was told what his charge was?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. We were also there and met him.

Ok, then he will be fine. As a former PD myself, I can tell you that it is very common for them to meet the client on the day they are appointed and then not see them again until the next court date on something like this. It is because it is a very minor charge that the PD knows what the outcome will be. So there is no reason to contact the client in advance of the court date.
Years ago when I was a PD, I would sometimes have 20+ cases a day to resolve so they are literally swamped and can only devote a certain amount of time to each case. But rest assured that things are going on behind the scenes to get it resolved. We would talk with the DA during the time inbetween hearings, get the deal worked out, and then the defendant would come in for their next hearing with the details already worked out.
So if the PD said the case would be ACD'd then that is what is going to happen. Just make sure son shows up early on his next court date so the charge can be disposed of.