How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, so I am an 18 year old teen who recently got an underage

This answer was rated:

Hi, so I am an 18 year old teen who recently got an underage consumption citation. The situation was that we were drinking and were drunk out by the pool of a friend's apartment complex which led to a noise complaint and around 15 MICs given, after being breathalized. The city police and county sheriffs were both present and both gave out the citations. Most of my friends received the ticket from the city police which immediately offers a $150 diversion course (which removes the citation from your record) as opposed to paying the fine and/or appearing in court. However my county ticket does not give me that option. It requires me to appear in court, and when I called the judge's secretary (who seemed extremely annoyed with me) told me that I would have to either plead guilty or innocent, in which case I would have to be assigned a lawyer who might be able to get me a diversion class. It seemed strange and I wanted to check in on whether this is how it works, and if it is lawful that I must go through this nonsense wit the county while my friend who was 15 feet from me with a city cop has it easier. Thanks!
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

It may not seem fair, but you're dealing with two entirely different law enforcement agencies in overlapping jurisdictions. It appears the city does things a little different than the county, which is not unusual. Both have broad discretion in how they handle their cases.

Despite that, if you have no record, your lawyer that will be appointed to represent you should be able to negotiate a diversion agreement on your behalf. You would initially plead "not guilty" at your first court date until that deal is worked out.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you