Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

i got caught with 1 gram of cocaine but i have done time 9

i got caught with 1 gram of cocaine but i have done time 9 years ago what would happen now
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if you have been charged with possession of cocaine?

Alex J. Esq. :

Were there any additional charges?

Alex J. Esq. :

Were there any additional charges?

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you able to see what I am typing to you?

Customer:

yes i was charge

Alex J. Esq. :

Was there only one charge of possession of cocaine less than 5 gram?

Customer:

im here

Alex J. Esq. :

Customer:

1 gram

Customer:

i havent been in no trouble in 9 years

Alex J. Esq. :

Possession of less than 5 gram of cocaine is a felony in the fifth degree, that carries a minimum sentence of 6 month in jail and maximum sentence of up to 12 months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500 in Ohio upon conviction.

Alex J. Esq. :

So this being serious felony drug offense, it would be a good idea for you to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent you in your pending criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

do you think i will get time

Alex J. Esq. :

If you are convicted of this crime, there is a minimum mandatory sentence of 6 months, which can be up to 12 months, if you had prior drug related criminal convictions.

Alex J. Esq. :

If you hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney, it might be possible for this attorney negotiate a plea bargain deal, where you would be allowed to plead to a lesser crime and avoid jail time, but instead receive probation / fine.

Customer:

yes alot of sense but do you think it can lower in small courts

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

would if i cant get probation would the indite me

Customer:

hello

Alex J. Esq. :

I am here.

Alex J. Esq. :

If you are charged with a felony drug possession, then your case will go before the grand jury and the grand jury will decide whether to indict you

Alex J. Esq. :

In most drug possession cases, it is extremely easy for the prosecution to obtain an indictment from the Grand Jury for felony possession.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

i have prior possession chFc

Customer:

i have possssion charges 10 years ago

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, any prior convictions might make your sentence tougher, if you are found guilty.

Alex J. Esq. :

So it is a good idea for you to hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney to help you right away.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

a looking at jail time witth prior record

Alex J. Esq. :

Possibly, if convicted of the original charge.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hopefully your local criminal defense attorney would be able to negotiate a plea deal that would help you avoid jail time

Customer:

no rehab programs

Alex J. Esq. :

The law requires jail time for this offense.

Alex J. Esq. :

But if you plea deal includes reduced misdemeanor charge, you might be able to avoid jail, and be placed on probation which would require drug treatment.

Customer:

we have a drug court here if i finish it the charges will be dimiss

Alex J. Esq. :

If you had prior drug conviction, you would not be generally eligible for the drug court, but you would need to double check on this with your local criminal defense attorney.

Alex J. Esq. :

Drug courts are generally reserved for the first time offenders.

Customer:

thanx no more charges will added to my visa

Alex J. Esq. :

correct!

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor