Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ely...another question? If a JP and a local police chief got

Ely...another question? If a JP and a local police chief got mad at you in 2007 for sending a letter to the FBI and they put a sealed warrant on me, what steps would I need to uncover the truth. I've contacted the city and the county and they said nothing on me, but I believe with their dirty rotten revenge tactics they made it hard to find out. I'm sick of my life being ruined by people who commit crimes. Also if your life was still being effected after all this time and you could prove it, would there be any type of statue of limitations?
Hello again L!

Hmm, this is a tough situation. Freedom of Information Act on a federal agency or its equivalent on a state level would not get one any documents if there is an ongoing police investigation about the matter. So this is not really an option.

If one were to sue the government, then this information would then possibly be able to be received via a process called DISCOVERY which is when a party requests evidence held by the other party. See here.

As for statute of limitations, it depends on what is being claimed, exactly.

TEXAS
INVASION OF PRIVACY - two year statute of limitations from action's date. Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code, 16.003(a). Stevenson v. Koutzarov, 795 S.W.2d 313, 319 (Tex. App – Houston [1st Dist.] 1990, writ denied).

INTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF EMOTIONAL DISTRESS - two years from action. Bhalli v. Methodist Hosp., 896 S.W.2d 207, 211 (Tex. App.- Houston [1st Dist.] 1995, writ denied).

See here for a good background information read on this topic.

U.S. GOVERNMENT
This varies widely and depends on the situation, but generally, no more than 2-5 years or so.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I understand about the right to discovery. There's no way an attorney can get the DA to find out if he had the evidence to prove they did this? Also, I really don't see how the statue of limitations could run out if everyday your civil rights are being violated by a criminal act.

L,

There's no way an attorney can get the DA to find out if he had the evidence to prove they did this?

Not without first filing suit.

Also, I really don't see how the statue of limitations could run out if everyday your civil rights are being violated by a criminal act.

This is a civil matter at the moment. In any case, statutes of limitations apply to criminal matters as well.