Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

My daughter went school shopping.She has a 4 year old son so

My daughter went school shopping.She has a 4 year old son so she rented a stroller to put him in. She picked up a pair of sun glasses and put them on the bottom of the stroller so her son would not break them. After paying for the cloths she forgot about the glasses and left the store to return the stroller to another store. As she left the store she was charged with pity theft the glasses where $14.00. She told him she was sorry and tried to pay for them but they charged her any way. She had spent over $80.00 at the time this took place. She realized she forgot but she does,t know how to plea to put this behind her. Should she try to explain this to the judge
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Dwayne B. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

Dwayne B. :

Court doesn't work that way. She has to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. If she enters a plea of guilty then it can be done with a plea bargain agreement or without. If without a plea bargain agreement the judge then gives her a chance to present her side of the story before he determines the sentence. If she enters a guilty plea with a plea bargain agreement there is no chance to explain to the judge because there is already an agreement as to sentence.

Dwayne B. :

If she pleads not guilty then there is a trial as to guilt or innocence and she can tell her side of the story during trial.

Dwayne B. :

Her best bet is to hire a lawyer and have him work out a deal for her that ends without a conviction on her record (such as a pretrial diversion or a deferred adjudication).

Dwayne B. :

She can also choose to have the lawyer conduct a trial on guilt or innocence based on "a mistake". If she doesn't have a record then she has a good chance of a jury not convicting her based on the facts.

Dwayne B. :

The website is showing you are offline and I am just about to leave and will be on the road for a few hours. i'll pick back up later on this afternoon and continue if you have additional questions.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.