Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

a conviction on 2001 in rockville virginia fairfax GD If i

a conviction on 2001 in rockville virginia fairfax GD
If i want a complete record of this case
what should i be able to get, please be detail

how can i get it

how long does it take
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Would this be your record, or someone else's?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

for a friend but the court said that the case is destroyed

do you know how might i get it?

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Yes, possibly. Can you please tell me specifically what COUNTY this matter took place in? Fairfax?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Arlington Circuit

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

There are three ways.

Court File
To get a copy of the court file for the matter, one can contact the "records" department of the 17th Judicial Circuit of Virginia by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNand asking for the "records" department. Expect to be transferred a few times and/or given another number to call.

Once one gets to the records department, copies of a court file for particular case may be ordered for a nominal fee. There may be a form that needs to be sent in as well. Some clerks need an individual to come in. However, many will do this over the telephone. This is public information, and should be available to anyone at request and a small fee.

Police Record
Under the open records act, one can request records from a state agency including authorities. This is done via a certified letter. A wizard-letter creator for VA may be found here (simply send in the blanks). Also, see here. Do expect to seem some blacked out parts, however.

Official Record
Finally, an official criminal record of the individual may be requested from the FBI. This is called a Summary Check. See here.

Between these three actions, one should get all the record on the matter that exists. I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Friend,

Thank you for your gratuity.

PS - there is one more entity which may have a part of the file - the prosecutor for Arlington's County:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Courts/commonwealth_attorney/vacao.aspx

This entity may also be petitioned using the open records act!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

do you know how long does it take to from the date of requesting to receive it

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
I am afraid I do not. Requesting from the Court (if there is anything, since they state the file was destroyed) is rather quickly. The FBI can take a few weeks. The freedom of information requests can also take a few weeks. It varies.