How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 32633
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boss did something illegal and I dont know what. The FBI

This answer was rated:

My boss did something illegal and I don't know what. The FBI has called me to court. Is it possible I can get in trouble for something my boss did?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Generally speaking it is NOT possible to get in trouble for the actions of another UNLESS you either

1. Conspired with them. If you knew about the illegal conduct and discussed with him on how he could best accomplish committing the crime, it may well be you are guilty of the crime of conspiracy.


2. Aided or abetted them: If you knew that he was thinking about committing a crime, and you encouraged him to do so, or if you knew he committed a crime and you helped him after the crime to prevent his being caught, that would be a crime.

If either of the above is true...or even if either of the above is not true but there is evidence that could suggest it be true? I would NOT talk to the FBI

You have no obligation to talk to the FBI. Period. You can politely refuse to speak to them. They have no power to compel you give a statement. Even if you are not a suspect, you can refuse to speak to the police.

Now...if you are summoned to court?

That is a separate matter.

If you are served with a subpoena you must respond to that subpoena.

And if the court orders you to testify, you are required to testify UNLESS testimony would incriminate you. In such a case you can invoke your right to remain silent, as provided for in the bill of rights of the Constitution.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: You are not required to speak to the FBI

But you are required to respond to a subpoena to testify.

If they want you to testify in an manner that would incriminate yourself? You can invoke your right to remain silent.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a voicemail saying I am being subpoenaed... But nothing else in writing anywhere. Can a subpoena being issued via voicemail?


Also I am out of state and just started a new job... Is it possible to speak to someone to letthem know i ddon't know anything andidn't have to travel and get off work?


I received three voicemails in one day but nothing in writing what do you recommend?


If I was being charged with something or suspected of something would they just issue a subpoena? Or what else would they do?


A voicemail is not a subpoena. They have to serve you. If it is true (if there is a subpoena pending) you will get it in the mail or in person.

You can certainly contact the FBI to tell them you do not want to cooperate and testify...but if they get a subpoena, you need to comply with it, or they can toss you in jail for contempt.

I would wait to get the subpoena in the mail or in is not effective until you receive it in the mail or in person

If you were being charged they would arrest you...they would not issue a subpoena. SO it sounds like you are a witness and not a suspect

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I get an attorney before I receive the subpoena? What would I tell them?


How much notice do they need to give me out of state? Because I need to possibly make travel arrangements and ask off for work if they are really sending one.


They are required to arrange travel for you. SO you will not need to make travel arrangements. If you get the subpoena it will have a phone number for the clerk of the court. Call them and they will arrange travel for you

You can hire a local attorney if you like, but if they issue a subpoena, the attorney is not going to be able to do much to help will have to travel to the court and respond to the subpoena

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it make sense to get an attorney to talk to the FBI FIRST before I go to court? I don't even know why he is on trial or what they want to ask me about or how they might trap me into saying something the wrong way.


Like should I make a deal with the FBI to make sure nothing I did accidentally gets interpreted wrongly? I want to cooperate but am scared.


Will the subpoena tell me the nature of the trial or why I am being called?


I knew my boss was not ethical but I didn't know he was doing things that were illegal. What if he says I did to get less time?

You have to pay the attorney. And if the FBI want you to testify, there is not much an attorney can do to stop that. SO you can pay a lawyer to speak to the FBI, but not sure that is a good use of money.

HOWEVER...if you have any concern that you are a suspect? Then you absolutely should engage an attorney to help you through this mess.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 32633
Experience: 16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
P. Simmons and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: