Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

How does one go about requesting that a file be sealed , if

How does one go about requesting that a file be sealed , if it was a one time offense and the charge was dismissed? Is it different for each state or is the same procedure followed for all? thank you. bonti5
Hello and welcome

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will provide information for you in this regard.

There is no Automatic sealing of records. You need to Petition the court to have it Ordered. Sealing means that once the court allows and orders it, you take that Order to the arresting police agency and they will remove all your arrest information from all databases.

The process is basically the same in the state that allow this. Florida will allow a record to be sealed as long as the case was dismissed. If there was a guilty plea, a conviction or a no contest plea it does not qualify

To get this done, I suggest you can go to the clerk of the court and request the forms to Petition for Sealing of the record.

Please let me know if you need more information or clarification

Thank you