MyraB, Lawyer
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in criminal law and civil litigation from pre-trial practice to appeal.

Hello, Ive never been in trouble with the law and I recently

I've never been in trouble with the law and I recently lit an illegal firework in California during the evening in a parking lot. As the firework was going, I just stood and watched standing next to my car. A person came out to her upper floor balcony and said she was taking my license plate down even though she never saw me ignite the firework. (Plus I don't think my vehicle plates were clearly visible from her vantage point.)

My question is will the police follow up on this (assuming the person did record my vehicle plates). The police did arrive eventually but didn't bother to even pick up the discharged firework, they just drove around the block a few times it appeared.

Second question, a security guard eventually picked up the discharged firework and do you think the police will go as far as to check it for fingerprints?
Hello and thank you for your question.

Based on the circumstances you describe it is not likely the police will investigate or that you will be charged with anything. Even if the witness took your license plate number she did not see you light the firework. Had the police had probable cause to arrest or issue a citation it is likely they would have when they responded that night.

With regard to the spent firework, it is unlikely it would be tested for fingerprints because at the point it was picked up it could have been and was handled by others, including the security guard, and there would be no way of determining the fingerprints of the person who actually set off the firework.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

You're welcome. If you have no further questions, please take a moment to positively rate my answer. It will not cost you anything extra and is the only way I can receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you.