Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor

if you sign your spouce name on checks

if you sign your spouce name on checks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

It is illegal to sign anyone's name, even with the permission of the other person.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

she own buisness that i work years in i put her in rehab she was not willing to get help but she was sprialing out of control we had two kids together that i had to take care of cuz she was a substance abuse and addicted to meth bills had to be paid had no other choice i stop and went to work for another company and let her do her thing she lost everything beforehand she talk me into finance 265,000 dollar house we used the funds to pay the bills out of stores she did not pay one house note i have legal papers showing i was part onwer and from the cpa of that bank account we were married at the time this happen.she went and press charges 2005 then the charges never came up until 2013 of last wk. before she died 2005 she told me she never did press charges i thought that she didnt becasuse it just came up last week 8yrs later i rebuilt my life getting my kids grown and now this happens out of nowhere i never left my kids i was a single parent until i got remarried in 2009 my life was doing so good until this came up,

Alex J. Esq. :

Did your sign your wife's name on her checks?

Customer:

yes i did

Alex J. Esq. :

Have you been questioned by the police or arrested because of this?

Customer:

yes last wk and warrant had not ever been processed until now cuz i renewed license every three yrs and got stop over yrs for speeding and never showed up

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know if you have been charged with felony forgery or what specific criminal charge are you facing?

Alex J. Esq. :

So have you been arrested?

Customer:

out on bond charged with felony forgery

Alex J. Esq. :

What state is this in?

Customer:

Louisiana

Alex J. Esq. :

that is an extremely serious criminal felony charge which carries a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in prison and fine of up to $5,000

Alex J. Esq. :

Have you hired an experienced local criminal defense attorney yet to represent you in this criminal case?

Customer:

ok what do you suggest i do to make this dismiss in court ,i dont steal or break the law will the judge have any compassion.and she is no longer living a brief summary what i told you she alllowed me to sign her name to pay supplier at the end

Alex J. Esq. :

That is not a defense and there is no simple way to have this criminal case dismissed and if you are convicted of this crime, not only you can be sentenced to prison but also would become a convicted felon.

Alex J. Esq. :

So you need to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney to represent you in this case and to fight for your freedom.

Alex J. Esq. :

The judge has to follow the law, and generally might only show compassion if you are convicted or plead guilty when it comes to sentencing.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

no not really i am getting attorney but im glad and thank you for listening to me im just worried im getting older i work so hard to get my kids grown and we all have to relive all this again,thx you so much for helping me.

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry about this unfortunate situation, but it is extremely important for you to take these criminal charges very seriously and not count on judge's or DA's compassion, but rather be represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you and to help you fight and hopefully beat these serious criminal charges.

Customer:

i understand, one last question even that she is not here will the charges still hold,this is last question and we will be ending this you have been lots of help i know you have to tell me what the law is just pray for me i promise you im no criminal.take care if you never here from me again you know it went bad do you have email address case something works out i let you know.thx

Alex J. Esq. :

I believe you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Alex J. Esq. :

When you say your ex-wife "is not here", what do you mean?

Customer:

not a ex-wife we were still married and not legal seperated

Alex J. Esq. :

are still married now?

Customer:

she passed away 2005 and i remarried 2009

Alex J. Esq. :

okay.

Alex J. Esq. :

That makes sense.

Alex J. Esq. :

Who is pursuing this criminal charges?

Alex J. Esq. :

Is that the bank?

Alex J. Esq. :

It is generally unusual for the DA to pursue criminal charges when the victim is deceased

Customer:

dont know i guess my lawyer will subponea it

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, generally it can work both way when a victim is deceased in such case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

dont know guess lawyer will subpoena it

Customer:

no thank you again.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor