Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In Montana are officers allowed to administer a breathalyzer

In Montana are officers allowed to administer a breathalyzer test if there is a head injury?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. The answer is yes, I am sorry to say.

Montana law says that if one is lawfully arrested by an officer who has probable cause to believe that one is driving under the influence, then one consents to a BAC.

Nothing in Montana Code Annotated.61-8-402 et seq state that a party that has a head injury is exempt from this law.

Of course, if the party with the injury sustained worse damage due to the officer's inaction for calling backup, EMT, etc, and instead applying a breathalyzer, then the officer and the police force he is part of my be sued for negligence.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)