Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I live in the state od DE. Last year my adult son was living

I live in the state od DE. Last year my adult son was living with me and became involved with drugs again. He stole my silver and jewelry. There is a felony for stealing on him.
Since that time he has been clean and has been paying me back for the stolen "goods". How can I have this charge dismissed?
Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to learn about your unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if your son was tried and convicted of this felony theft charge?

Customer:

I am a senior and I am ill. He is my only relative to help me

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand completely.

Customer:

No. I am not sure where he is living, but I would be able to get intouch with him.

Customer:

He has been clean for > 1 year and has been sending me money.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know if your son ever went to court to face this felony charge or if a felony arrest warrant has been issued for him?

Customer:

I am completely alone here in DE

Customer:

A felony arrest warrant has been issued. I never would have gotten the police , but I called them because

Customer:

I thought the painters who pained my in side did it.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand.

Customer:

Sorry for my spelling, but I have a physical problem typing.

Alex J. Esq. :

What did police tell you when you informed them that you no longer want to pursue criminal charges?

Alex J. Esq. :

not a problem

Alex J. Esq. :

please take your time and do not worry about any spelling mistakes!

Customer:

I asked them to drop it that I did not want to press charges, but I was told the state issued the felony.

Customer:

He has been holding a job for 1.5 years and it is an honest position.

Alex J. Esq. :

What state does your son reside in?

Customer:

This occurred in Delaware when he was living with me. The police told me that no matter where he is if they find him they will return him to De to prosecute.

Alex J. Esq. :

That is unfortunately correct.

Alex J. Esq. :

Once you file a police report and a judge issues a felony arrest warrant, it would be valid and active, unless the judge terminates the arrest warrant.

Customer:

I am a highly intelligent lady, but I would like to know how can I have this dropped?

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, once the criminal charge is filed, it is not up to the victim whether a person gets criminally prosecuted, but up to district attorney and the judge.

Alex J. Esq. :

There is no simple answer to that question.

Alex J. Esq. :

The only thing that you can do is to contact the prosecutor to whom your son's case is assigned.

Customer:

So I must contact our DE district attoney?

Customer:

If so, oh great it is Biden's son Beau. He is still not working as yet.

Alex J. Esq. :

correct

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know in what county the arrest warrant was issued for your son?

Customer:

Should I write a letter, or call his office?

Customer:

It happened in New Castle County- Wilmington DE

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be a good idea to call first and explain your situation and the fact that due to different circumstance you do not want to proceed with pursuing this case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Were you ever contact by a prosecutor?

Customer:

No

Alex J. Esq. :

let me look up contact information for your county DA

Customer:

thank you!

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you closer to Wilmington, Dover or Georgetown?

Customer:

I am in Wilmington!

Alex J. Esq. :

Wilmington Office:
Carvel State Office Bldg
820 N. French Street
Wilmington, DE 19801

Alex J. Esq. :

Criminal Div.: (302)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be a good idea for you to contact them and then make an appointment to meet with the DA to discuss this situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Yes. is it appropriate to email him?

Customer:

I have his email address from the web. I live < 1 mile from his office.

Alex J. Esq. :

sure

Alex J. Esq. :

you can email as well and request an appointment

Alex J. Esq. :

you do have the email? Correct?

Customer:

yes:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

???

Alex J. Esq. :

The general email is not really good to use, as it might take sometimes before your email is forwarded to the prosecutor assigned to your case.

Alex J. Esq. :

So it might be a good idea to call first and find out the specific prosecutors contact information and email address

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes, I will call in the morning with the tele # XXXXX gave me

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions?

Customer:

No, Not at this time. My son knows I love him and to never ask me for anything to help hime.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand completely

Customer:

I am doing this for my own medical need. I was a working RN, Certified Case manager x 38 years, educated in NYC.

Customer:

I have never been involed with the law.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, drug and other addictions can completely hijack people, but I am glad your son is keeping clean.

Customer:

This does frighten me. If they ask me where he is do I need to find out for them?

Alex J. Esq. :

NO

Alex J. Esq. :

Absolutely not.

Alex J. Esq. :

But, you should not lie to them.

Customer:

That makes me feel more comfortable.

Customer:

I suffer from PTSD from an abusive marriage, but I am not an enabler.

Alex J. Esq. :

Basically, your son is a fugitive at this point and if you don't know where he is, you don't have to search for your son.

Alex J. Esq. :

Police is good at doing their job.

Alex J. Esq. :

I mean when it comes to finding fugitives.

Customer:

I will say my prayers and hope all works out.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Customer:

De is not friendy and I have no one else to help me.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand and my heart goes out to you and I do hope that you will be able to resolve this situation and hopefully your son will realize what he means to you and will be there for you in your time of need.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

No problem , just say a prayer and wish me luck.

Customer:

Thank you! Have a good night.

Alex J. Esq. :

I will keep you in my prayers! I promise!@

Customer:

God bless you and again thank you!

Dear XXXXX,

I wish you the best of luck.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor