ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My husband received a ticket in 2009 for driving with a suspended

My husband received a ticket in 2009 for driving with a suspended license in CA. The suspended license was issued in Ohio. Now it has turned into a bench warrent. Does he need a lawyer to get this resolved or can he just turn himself in and pay the fines without doing jail time?

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

It should be done with a lawyer. The reason is that, because there is a bench warrant, he could be arrested at any time, and that means that he goes to jail pending a court hearing on the matter. If he were to get an attorney, he could file a motion to "quash" the warrant, which would allow him to try to pay the fines and handle the matter without going to jail.

ScottyMacEsq :

But if he were to turn himself in, he almost certainly would go to jail pending the hearing. That doesn't mean that he would be in jail a long time (although it could, depending on when he turns himself in, if the judge is going to be hearing cases that day, etc...)

ScottyMacEsq :

As such, getting an attorney to handle this matter would minimize, if not completely negate, the time spent in jail, as he would be ready to bail him out of jail (if need be).

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!