Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

hi. when I was 17. almost 18, I ran away from home to texas

hi. when I was 17. almost 18, I ran away from home to texas and stole from sears. its a misdemeanor class b. I was arrested and when I got out I moved back with my mom in Florida. I am now 22.almost 23. I just received a letter saying I have an open warrant. my total court costs is 1800 dollars. will a cop come to my home or work and serve me the warrant? and arrest me? what about extradition? do I have to worry about going all the way back to texas? I'm nervous.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
will a cop come to my home or work and serve me the warrant? and arrest me? what about extradition? do I have to worry about going all the way back to texas?
.
Since this is a misdemeanor warrant, it is extremely unlikely that the state of TX will send the marshalls to come get you in FL even if they knew you were there. It just isn't serious enough of a crime to justify that time and expense.
.
However, if you are stopped by law enforcement in FL and they run a background check, the warrant will show up and they will have to immediately arrest you and take in you to jail. They will then notify TX that they have you and if they want to extradite, they can do so. TX won't, just due to the cost of doing so. The whole process will take about a month for you to be released in FL since TX won't come get you.
.
Then you will be on your way but the warrant will still be sitting there waiting for this to happen over and over again until you go back to TX to address the situation and take care of it.
.
Warrants never expire and don't have a statute of limitations so until you take care of the TX charges, this can happen over and over.
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received a letter in the mail saying I have 7 days from the date of the letter ot pay all of the fines or there is a possibility that I will be arrested at my home or work. so in that case would they come and arrest me?

There is always the possibility that TX will notify FL law enforcement and they will come and arrest you for the warrant. All that takes is a phone call from TX to local FL police. But it is very unlikely that TX would actually extradite you back to TX and spend thousands of dollars to send the marshalls to get you for a minor offense like this. So you run the risk of sitting in jail for around a month under fugitive status until FL finally gets tired of holding you for TX to come pick up.
.
.
Thanks