Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

A former employees husband repaired an appliance in a home

A former employee's husband repaired an appliance in a home that houses me as well as several employees. It is in my trust and has always been used to house employees. He did this while on the clock and they admit he was on the clock. His wife is stating he should be paid $354.00 as she thought it was my private home and it wasn't covered by his contract. She has gotten vicious and threatened to call the labor board, the IRS, and more. I could just pay the bill, but she will keep on. All of this is contained in e-mails.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will provide you the information in this regard today.

So is she saying that he needs to be paid additional - and you are saying that he was on the clock and you owe him nothing because it was not a scheduled time off or on his on time. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes.

Hello

Thanks.

So they want to double dip. I suggest you can tell her to sue you for that money. Because you have proof that he was on the clock and got paid his wages and there will be no double dipping.

If she files, it will be in Small Claims court. The Labor Board will not get involved in this once you show them he got his wages for the time he was working. And I have no idea what she thinks the IRS is going to do.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am concerned that she is blackmailing me and will call all kiinds of organizations which could make my life difficult till we get everything straightened out. I would like to tell her that the treats she has made are blackmail which is a class F felony in NC and she could go to prison. I haven't done anything wrong, but she could sure stir the pot till I am exhonorated.

Hello

Ok. Well, only you know if her comments are "threats" or if they will produce evidence of you doing anything wrong. And if she is threatening you to try to black mail you, then it is a crime.

I suggest you can write her a letter and state that you will not be threatened with blackmail. That it is a crime and that if she continues you will have no choice but to go to the police. And she is Hereby put on Notice to Cease and Desist. Mail that letter certified with a return receipt requested.

If she continues then go to the police and put and end to it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Which police do I go to Alaska where the work was done, NC where she resides, or Phoenix where I am presently?

Hello

You go to the NC police, because that is where she lives and the crime is being committed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can this be done by mail or phone or does it have to be in person? They are thinking of returning to Alaska for the winter. How does this affect where I press charges?

Hello

IF she continues with this nonsense upon her return to Alaska, you can then notify the police there.

You can call the NC police and tell them

But again, you want to mail her the certified Cease and Desist letter. Keep a copy so you can have it for reference.

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.