Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

I called 911 believing that an intruder was in the home. I

I called 911 believing that an intruder was in the home. I called, but did not say anything- believing that the"intruder" would hear me. My call would be terminated and I would call back and get disconnected again. I called about 20 times- hoping to be taken seriously. It turns out, the person I live with got home from a vacation early, I was embarrassed. In Michigan, it is a felony to make a "false" 911 call. Has a crime been committed?

Thank you for the information and your question. Although charges under MCL 750.411a could conceivably be filed, the State carries the burden of proof that you "intentionally" caused a false report. So, if the facts that you shared are accurate, then they would not be successful in a prosecution as long as your testimony is believable and your roommate can confirm your version of the facts.

You can see the statute at: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28no0lolymbagh1w45b1mgikah%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-411a
Subsection (4) would be the most likely charge, if any, since you did not actually say anything.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.