Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I work as a maintenance person in a hotel. At times I am asked

I work as a maintenance person in a hotel. At times I am asked to go fix something like unclogging a toilet in a room that is occuppied, but, the guests have left the room. I try to get a witness to come along with me. But, this is not always an option. I would like to take a cell phone video of me entering the room, walking straight to the bathroom, performing the repair and leaving the room to show that my hands never touched anything they should not have. I have seen other employees accused of taking things and I don't want to see this happen to me. This would be a video that I do not post or share. It would only be to show police and/or management that I strictly did my job and left if a guest ever complained about missing something. If I only filmed what I was doing and the camera was pointed at the floor while I am walking and at me doing what I was asked to do would this be legal? I wouldn't be panning the camera back and forth trying to make a "Youtube" video.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There is no law against you video taping your own actions in a place where you have a legal right to be present. It is not illegal for you to do this for your protection if you seek to do so, you are not filming any guests without their consent in their rooms and you are not recording their conversations.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.