Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My son is serving one year in Amite La jail. He got a letter

My son is serving one year in Amite La jail. He got a letter from the DOC telling him he has a parole hearing Oct 9th. But my son tells me everyone gets those letters but no one is ever called out to their hearing. My atty says he has never had to file for a parole hearing. He says we need a DOC lawyer. My question: what is a DOC lawyer and why do these prisoners get letters but don't get a hearing?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The DOC lawyers are lawyers that handle parole hearings and some criminal defense attorneys handle these cases and if not the DOC has like a public defenders office that will represent the inmate if the inmate cannot afford an attorney that your son can request. Many times, the parole hearings are set automatically by their system and inmates are called to testify only if they have evidence they want to present or if the board has information they want to hear from the inmate that is not in the inmate's case file. Most of these hearings are conducted simply by review of the inmate files and reports from the inmate services social workers unless the inmate requests to appear and speak before the board with some evidence that they want to present to the board to consider regarding parole eligibility.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do they review the inmates files and deny/approve parole without the inmate present?

What type of evidence would the inmate want to present?

Thank you for your response.

They do indeed review inmate files without inmates being present and they do so because moving prisoners to parole hearings can be considered a security risk.

Evidence an inmate would present is evidence they may have of rehabilitation, such as completion of education or involvement of the inmate in some type of community outreach programs to show the board that they have worked to change their lives around and would be not likely to violate parole.