Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My neighbor shot my Pit dog for being on his property

Customer Question

My neighbor shot my Pit bull dog for being on his property pooping, the neighbor told the animal control officer that the pit bull dog "diesel" lunged at him. The dog has NO history with our county of violent bites or killing "live stock". he is the most gentle dog I ever owned, my other neighbors helped me bury him him tonight I have a 5 yr old at the house that the pit bull loved like his own. The Law in North Carolina states he can shoot the dog if he kills live stock, or threatens his family or property, "if he is in fear"

My question is can I sue this dude In civil court and if I win donate to a animal charity, That dog was "our family"
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pet

You can certainly file a lawsuit. But it is your word against his that the dog did not lunge at him. If that his is story and he is saying he was in fear, then it will be hard to prove otherwise without the help of first hand witnesses.

Im sorry for your loss.

If you need other questions answered, please ask here so I can continue to help you