Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.

How should I plea to a theft of service charge of less than

How should I plea to a theft of service charge of less than $20 if the facts are that I didn't have cash because I had forgotten my card at an establishment and the cab driver refuse to take me back ?
Welcome to JustAnswer. What happened when you told the cab driver that you did not have your credit card or cash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He got mad and said he wasn't going to take me back because it was going to be closed so I told him to leave me at my place and to come back the following day to collect the money but he was angry and called the cops and since I didn't have the money they had to take me , I didn't resist or anything, basically what I want to know is if I should plea not guilty or no contest and what the penalty would be , this would be my first time offense.

Normally the punishment is just a fine in the $50 to $100 range which may be inconsequential enough that you just want to plead guilty or no contest, pay the fine, and get it over with. However, that would give you a theft conviction and given the circumstances you are not actually guilty since you thought you had means of payment when you got in the cab. (see link to statute below)

If I were you, I would plead not guilty. It's not very likely that the cab driver will show up for the trial, and even if he does you have a decent chance of winning given the circumstances.