Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have recently received a fine for public urination in Thousand

I have recently received a fine for public urination in Thousand Oaks, Ca, Ventura County. It ended up being a misdemeanor class c. I was sent a court order to appear on Friday for appearance today Tuesday. I was working a new job and unable to make it. They were closed the weekend so I called first thing Monday to attempt to reschedule. They told me that was not possible. I failed to appear Tuesday and now I have a bench warrant. Can I show up and schedule a new appointment? Can I call in and set one up? Or is showing up to settle this going to cost me a couple day in jail and not working? What are my options and is there a way to squash it in one full day?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist you.

First, I'm sorry for your trouble here, but you should be able to navigate through it without much trouble. Since a bench warrant has been issued for you, it MUST be served on you/you must be arrested - - that's the only way a warrant goes away.

However, it should be possible to turn yourself in, appear before the judge, explain the issue/mistake in not appearing, pay a fine for the contempt/failure to appear and the public urination citation. Thus, it should be possible for you to walk in, get booked, see the judge and walk back out in the same day -- keeping you out of jail.

BUT, you're going to need an attorney to arrange this for you. He/she can arrange you turning yourself in and coordinating that with seeing the judge about the citations/contempt.

If you don't have an attorney, if you were to turn yourself in, you'd likely have to wait in jail until the judge has his/her next court day - - which could be a few days away. It's likely that you could get a similar result without an attorney -- fines and no jail time -- but you'll likely spend some time in jail waiting.

If you want to consult an attorney, you can search for one at; then click on "Find a Lawyer or Law Firm" and enter your relevant information (location and area of law/criminal).

Generally, a misdemeanor proceeding is not expensive, but you would have to call around for prices on what an attorney may charge.

Thanks for the question, and if you need anything further, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I noticed a warrant amount through the court website. Is that going to be the fine amount?

Probably not. The fine has a range on it based on statute, so the judge can assess a fine anywhere in that range.