How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 24046
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello my name isXXXXX recently received a non-traffic

This answer was rated:

Hello my name isXXXXX recently received a non-traffic citation summons for urinating in an Alley. I was cooperative had no problems with the officers. Box 27 on the summons says $23.50 but the total amount due box is left blank. How do I go about paying this and will this be on my permanent record?
Hello Jacustomer,

This is public urination which in Pennsylvania is a summary offense. Be grateful for that because in some 11 states, it's actually considered a sex offense with a registration requirement. That's not going to happen here, as a summary offense is less than a crime, keep that in mind the next time you are similarly inclined.

A summary offense in Pennsylvania should not appear on your criminal record. Nevertheless, generally, when the payment information is missing from the ticket it means that you're expected to appear in court. The citation should give you an appearance date if that's the case or at least a court and/or contact number you can call. Do that and ask the clerk if you can pay this without having to appear in court.

Good luck!
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot seem to find a date for appearance or a contact number but the police station and magistrate office are in walking distance. Would it be acceptable for me to go to them personally?


It's really quite irregular that there would be nothing on the ticket itself to tell you what to do with it. Either one of these options would be fine for something like this, though I would suggest going to the magistrate's office first on general principles


Have the $23.50 with you just in case you can take care of the whole thing while you're there.