Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

how soon is an arraignment if someone is arrested on charges

how soon is an arraignment if someone is arrested on charges of larceny and harassment? they were arrested on Sunday?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

In New Mexico, a Defendant will be arraigned within 72 hours. The criminal charges are filed before the arraignment. Since they were arrested on Sunday and not yet arraigned today, they are likely to be arraigned tomorrow or Wednesday morning at the latest (depending on how late Sunday night they were arrested).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I know that friends have followed other friends (boyfriends even) on line and found out when arraignment and moving to other facilities would occur- do you know of these sites and how I can keep track of what is going on? also, since I chose the free trial.. am I being billed the remainder of the $38.00 today or will that be billed if I go through with the membership after the seven day trial finishes ~ if I continue. Also- is there any point in contracting/finding/retaining a bail bondsman PRIOR to the arraignment since we will not know the actual charges or the bail that will be set prior to the actual arraignment- as far as I know, the arrest took place fairly late in the evening/night on Sunday...

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Friend,

What COUNTY of NM is this in? Let us start with this, and then I can answer all questions one by one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

County is Rio Arriba. Was arrested in Ojo Sarco. Just outside Chamisal and near Dixon. Currently being held in facility in Tierra Amarilla.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

also, since I chose the free trial.. am I being billed the remainder of the $38.00 today or will that be billed if I go through with the membership after the seven day trial finishes ~ if I continue.

I am not involved in the billing aspects of the site. You can go to www.justanswer.com/help and see CUSTOMER SERVICE on the upper right hand side. They would be happy to answer this. Unfortunately, I have no access to your billing.

I know that friends have followed other friends (boyfriends even) on line and found out when arraignment and moving to other facilities would occur- do you know of these sites and how I can keep track of what is going on?

This is hard to say. There is no "for profit" site that does this. They can be using the site for the jail:

http://www.rio-arriba.org/departments_and_divisions/detention.html

Or simply calling the clerk's office of the court:

http://www.rio-arriba.org/

But I do not know which site they used, specially.

Also- is there any point in contracting/finding/retaining a bail bondsman PRIOR to the arraignment since we will not know the actual charges or the bail that will be set prior to the actual arraignment- as far as I know, the arrest took place fairly late in the evening/night on Sunday...

YES, there is. This is because the bail bondman can have everything in place so once a bond is set, he would be out a lot quicker. They can also help you trace him through the system as well (for free). So there is a tremendous advantage of pre-setting the whole thing up with the bail bondman NOW.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You have been most informative. But again, since I chose the free trial- I am assuming that I can continue this conversation which I am again assuming is documented in my email... which it is. I am very happy with your information. HOWEVER, I have agreed to pay $48.00 after my free trial... I suppose I will make sure and cancel that free trial and rate your answer as Fabulous and give YOU the $38.00 plus a bonus. Only seems fair as I am counting on the fact that I will have this resolved in the next seven days. Again. Hoping I can ask more questions as they arise over the next seven days. Please confirm.

Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Jen,

You have been most informative.

Thank you for your kind words.

Again. Hoping I can ask more questions as they arise over the next seven days. Please confirm.

Regardless of what you decide to do re: the trial on this site (JustAnswer experts do not handle billing or subscription, we simply answer questions, so I do not even know what subscription you are being offered), I would be happy to answer any of your follow ups before or after you rate me.

All you have to do is to save this link...

http://www.justanswer.com/criminal-law/7zkx2-soon-arraignment-someone-arrested-charges.html

...and come back to it whenever you have a follow up in regards XXXXX XXXXX topic. I would be happy to answer anything, and if I am not online at the time, I normally reply within 12 hours or less (often, much less).

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your gratuity.