Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Greetings, I received a DUI in Virginia in 2010. I am currently

Customer Question

Greetings,

I received a DUI in Virginia in 2010. I am currently completing my classes in Florida and will be relocating to California. By next week I will have satisfied all requirements. However, the DMV website states that I was required to have an ignition interlock device installed for 6 months of the 1 year suspension. Since it has been 2 years past the initial one year suspension am I still required to obtain the Ignition Interlock Device?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that even if it is past the initial one year suspension, you would have to have the interlock installed for time when your license is reinstated for 6 months to a year and if you do not do so then VA will not release the hold on your license and when you try to get a new license in CA they will not issue one. We get customers of this site who run into this frequently and in order to avoid this requirement you need to get the requirement waived by VA in writing. You will have to actually go to DMV to get the waiver (as waiting for DMV to answer a phone is like waiting for Christmas to occur in July).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.