Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

Can you please tell me how long a probation violation warrant

Can you please tell me how long a probation violation warrant in Florida is good for? The case in question: A warrant was issued July 2006 in Brevard County. Thank you.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

For what reason was the violation originally issued?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Marijuana poss. less than however many ounces.

So, it was a new charge that resulted in the violation? What happened with the new charge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My soon-to-be son-in-law was released on probation on the marijuana charge. He violated that probation by returning to Indiana in 2006. I assume this means it is an additional charge, but I really haven't a clue.

Okay. He has essentially done what the legal system calls "absconded".

There is no length of time where a warrant for a probation violation ends. It sounds as if it was a misdemeanor. That means he will not be extradited from another state. His only danger of arrest would be going back to Florida.

If he wants to get this resolved he is going to have to hire a lawyer in Florida, present himself to the court, get booked, and obtain a court date to deal with the violation. It's possible if he has otherwise stayed out of trouble, had work, and been otherwise responsible he will not serve any jail time. However, having been gone for 7 years is not a good thing no matter how you look at it.

The first step here would be retaining a local defense lawyer in Brevard County to arrange for his surrender and a bond so he can remain outside of custody while the violation is dealt with.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.