Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

My fiancé was arrested for possession of a stolen firearm.

My fiancé was arrested for possession of a stolen firearm. We didn't know it was stolen when we bought it, does he have a chance of getting off Scott free? If not what are the prison terms for this?
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

I need a little more information to fully assist you.

1) How did the police know to arrest him? and

2) Where was it bought?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was pulled over for a burnt out headlight. When he opened the glove box to get vehicle registration out the pistol was see by the officer. SOP in this state is for the officer to take the gun and run its serial number, which showed it to be stolen.

We purchased it from our tenant. Dumb I know but we were trying to help him out.
His defense would be that he did not know the firearm was stolen. If you can provide some measure of proof that he bought it from your tenant, along with your testimony as to the situation (how the tenant needed money, and that was the reason for the transaction), that may be enough to create a level of reasonable doubt.

If he is convicted, it is a Class B felony. In Washington a Class B felony can carry up to a ten year prison sentence. If he has no record he won't be facing that, but the possibility of jail time is real and depends very much on the local district attorney and the courts.

If he has not already, this is the time to hire a local defense attorney. The potential consequences are too serious to face without counsel. If he cannot afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has never been arrested before and I don't think he has ever had a ticket. Does that raise his chances of beating this?
His clean past has nothing to do with beating it. That would be helpful with a potential lesser sentence. To fully beat the charge he is going to have to ultimately convince a jury that he did not have knowledge that the gun was stolen. That is his only defense and is largely going to be based on his testimony and your testimony.