LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

A friend of mine was pulled over by the Highway Patrol in Northern

A friend of mine was pulled over by the Highway Patrol in Northern California.....Yreka. Someone reported her via 911 that she was weaving.
The police pulled her over. She hadn't been drinking and passed breathalyzer. Despite this they put her in jail for 5 hours. They drew blood for drugs and said the results would take a month or two to receive.
She has a court date on October 1 in Yreka but does not plan on going..... drive is about 250 miles one-way. She hired an attorney in Yreka ($500) who says he will represent her and that she doesn't have to attend hearing. The results of the drug test may or may not be available by court date.
My concern is that the drug test won't be available. The policeman will testify she was drunk and disorderly. She admits to telling the policeman what she thought about spending the night in jail. This woman is wealthy....lives in Lafayette....home is probably worth $2,000,000. She is not used to be treated like this. She is Jewish.
My question: what is the worst possible penalty she can receive if found "guilty"?
Lose her driver's license? Fine? Jail?
I told her she should show up in court. The attorney she hired will earn more if the case is continued. I don't see how this attorney can help her out.

Good morning Patrick,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The court date set for Oct. 1 is just the arraignment hearing---where she would plead guilty or not guilty. He attorney will enter a plea of not guilty for her if the blood test results are not back by then.

The court won’t set a trial date before the toxicology report is back and at that time the DA is going to dismiss the case anyway---so there is no risk that she will have a problem at this first hearing. She doesn't need to be concerned so long as the attorney is there on her behalf.

If you are just curious as to the penalties for a first offense, here is a link to an article discussing them:

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you the best in your future,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I told person involved and she is relieved.

Good afternoon Patrick,

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated. And I'm glad that your friend is relieved.

Thank you too for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.