Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

Hello I was recently arrested in PA for shoplifting this is

Hello I was recently arrested in PA for shoplifting this is my first (and last!). Merchandise was $190. I'm petrified of the outcome as I am in the health care field. I gave all the merchandise back and was cooperative. I'm having sleepless nights. I'm waiting for some kind of summons or fine in the mail which still hasn't arrived. I called a lawyer but he wouldn't speak to me unless I received whatever it is in the mail. I'm scared out of my mind. Especially over losing my job.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Were you actually arrested by the police and booked into jail?
.
If not were the police called and did they give you a citation?
.
What is your specific legal question that I can help with tonight?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was arrested, fingerprinted and picture taken. I was released and told to expect a summons and fine on the mail. My question is, is it possible to have these charges dismissed? Can they call my job and consequently be fired? Will I have a record? I'm in the healthcare field.
My question is, is it possible to have these charges dismissed?
.
It is extremely unlikely that the DA would just dismiss the charges if they actually caught you with merchandise and you were arrested. They will have a reasonably easy case to prove so a dismissal is probably not going to happen.
.
However, if you have a clean record otherwise, then you may qualify for "pretrial diversion" where you will essentially be put on probation for a period of time, usually 6 months to a year and have to do some community service. If you complete the program without any further incidents, then the charges are dismissed against you and it would not show up on your criminal record.
.
Can they call my job and consequently be fired?
.
There would not be anything that would prevent them from doing this, since criminal charges are public records, but there wouldn't be any logical reason why they would..
.
.
Thanks